Monday, April 16

FW 101: Introduction to ForgeWorld

Recently, Forge World's siren song proved to be too strong for me and I went on to buy an infernal guards package. My plan was to use the Mantic guys as cores and the ForgeWorld ones as elites. This way, the cores and elites would look different from each other, yet have decent amount of character in them.

During painting, I used my usual recipe. The painting process was rather quick, due to the fact that they are armored to the teeth. I spent some time on the freehands on the shields though. I think the flame designs turned out to be quite OK; but it is up to you to decide.

There are two points that left a sour taste in my mouth. First, the ranking up issue. I generally took my time and plan ahead of time before placing the miniatures on their bases to avoid the ranking up problems. In this case, no amount of nudging, tweaking and moving around solved it unfortunately. Checked the stock photo after I gave up and I still can't see how it could be done. Maybe they used bigger bases, hmm...? :)

Another point which bothers me was the size of the minis. Don't get me wrong, their scale is correct; but they are small compared to the Mantic ones. The Mantic ones have decorations on their helmets and that's the main reason that they look bigger; but as are the old-skool GW chaos dwarfs. I don't see that the ForgeWorld guys will blend in with them nicely too to be honest. I have 10 of these guys now; but I think I won't be buying more of them.

You can see the photos below. I'd recommend you to check the size comparison shot with Mantic mini to get a better feeling about the size difference.




6 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Really Nice, I really like the armour its bronze without the glitter very clean and subtle. How did you achieve such an effect?

Unknown said... [Reply]

hi,

thanks for the compliments. achieving this effect is quite simple actually:

- Silver spray
- heavy Gryphone Sepia wash
- heavy Ogryn Flesh wash
- heavy Ogryn Flesh wash again
- Highlight with dwarf bronze

done! Just make sure that washes are dried before every step.

thanks for the comment.

Rusty said... [Reply]

Loving the blog, I was so close to building a CD list myself when the Tamurkhan book came out, but I was swept away by the epic Nurgle models and the rest in history.

Look forward to following your progress...

You must be tempted by those new centaurs though :P

Unknown said... [Reply]

hey mate. welcome and thanks for the kind words. i think the timing of the tamurkhan was too good for me: my dwarf army was complete, i was looking for another army to start and had extra cash :) but the nurgle models were awesome though. as a matter of fact, i was thinking of devoting my army to one of the chaos gods when i started; but decided that hashut ftw.

the new BCentaurs are awesome; but i wont be getting them. i already have 8 BCs and 20(!) more to be built from mantic's abyssal halfbreeds. the scale of them are close to the OOP BCs, so the FW BCs will look very awkward. Also, 55 quids for 3 is a dealbreaker i must say.

btw, that reminded me that i need to write a review about mantic's abyssal halfbreeds box :)

again, nice to see you around...

Unknown said... [Reply]

@Rusty

hey mate. welcome and thanks for the kind words. i think the timing of the tamurkhan was too good for me: my dwarf army was complete, i was looking for another army to start and had extra cash :) but the nurgle models were awesome though. as a matter of fact, i was thinking of devoting my army to one of the chaos gods when i started; but decided that hashut ftw.

the new BCentaurs are awesome; but i wont be getting them. i already have 8 BCs and 20(!) more to be built from mantic's abyssal halfbreeds. the scale of them are close to the OOP BCs, so the FW BCs will look very awkward. Also, 55 quids for 3 is a dealbreaker i must say.

btw, that reminded me that i need to write a review about mantic's abyssal halfbreeds box :)

again, nice to see you around...

Rusty said... [Reply]

Look forward to the review, checked them out on the net and they look pretty good. Who knows might even start a CD army myself (once I've finished painting all the new shiny shiny from FW)

Post a Comment